Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Our only friend, the bartender

I attended a red carpet event for a jewelry store opening in Beverly Hills with Emily Asian. Raquel Welch hosted the event which was attended by fake plastic breasts, face lifts, eye lifts, botox, chin implants, perhaps even calf implants, rhinoplasty, eating disorders, and beautiful people as well. Climbing out of the car, paparazzi snapped photos of us and commented on our emerald green and teal dresses. Obviously this was our type of scene so we tripped (I tripped) and giggled our way through the crowd and headed straight to the bar. The bartender was thankful for us as we were eager for his services. "Chardonnay?" "Bring it, and keep the glass filled." He invited us to eat at the bar as well, knowing we were commoners who would happily support his views of the Beverly Hills cretans in attendance. Emily and I went in shifts to grab hor d'oeuvres from the buffet, I'd say at least six shifts, as we felt sorry for all the uneaten food left by the eating disorders. Before we knew it, stacks of plates were piled up on the bar and the bartender asked to remove the mess we left. We thanked him for his hospitality and he smiled so big, I thought his teeth were going to pop out of his mouth! Apparently saying thank you is a rare occurance.

Colette (the creator of this exclusive jewelry) raffled off a pair of earrings towards the end of the night. 30329... (OMG I'm going to win I'm going to win)... 1. One number off from winning earrings. Booohooo. I made it a point to introduce myself to Colette however, to prove to myself I had a purpose of being there. I researched her collections before attending and told her how I love the "galaxy collection." She agreed it's her favorite. I'm sure she says that about all of her collections.

A homeless guy in a wheelchair approaches us outside while we're standing at the valet stand, mapping our next spot for a drink. “You know why women are so beautiful?" he says. "Because they gave birth to you. Your momma, her momma, my momma, they could have died having us! Women could die having babies.” And I said, “So can men.” I subconsciously found a way to divert a homeless person's attention away from asking for money. He rode off on his wheelchair, through a group of people who could surely afford to drop a few hundred to help this poor man, trying to absorb my stupidity.

The jewelry is beautiful. Take a look:
http://colettejewelry.com/v2/

No comments: