Sunday, October 26, 2008

A shy young woman with a pronounced taste for all life's small pleasures

Tonight I wore my "I Heart Serendipity" shirt. I became partial to the movie Serendipity in high school. A born romantic and of course a sucker for love stories, the film reeled me in as did the word Serendipity: The art of finding the unusual, or the pleasantly unexpected by chance or sagacity. My mom knew how obsessed I became with Serendipity and one winter day, brought me to Manhattan to mirror the opening segment of the film. We began at Bloomingdales where surely I had to try on anything priced under $100. Then we got back on the film's track and admired cold-weather gear in the glove department. All that shopping of course built up our appetite so we finished the day at the restaurant Serendipity where we indulged in frozen hot chocolate and brownie sundaes. I left with a smile on my face and my favorite t-shirt.

One aspect of all love stories is the chase. There is always a chance in the beginning for two people to connect and call it happily ever after. However that's too easy and life does not usually work that way. Leave out the chase and you're left with a monotonous storyline.

I finally watched the movie Amelie, wearing the Serendipity t-shirt and all. Amelie grew up without proper socialization as her father, a doctor, mistakenly diagnosed her rapid heart beat as a disorder, leaving her home schooled and without friends. Her awkwardness and appreciation for the small things in life that no one else catches draws you in to her lovely character. She notices a man and is immediately enthralled by him. Rather then approaching him and making herself available, she sends him clues leading him on a wild goose chase in search of his mysterious admirer. The story, the music, the colors and the artistic shots made for an extremely enjoyable two hours.

There's nothing like throwing on an old t-shirt. Easy to wear. Comfortable.

No comments: